BUSH'S® Great Northern Beans, fresh carrots and zucchini add a variety of tastes and textures to this Italian-inspired soup. Turn up the heat by using spicy sausage, or keep it kid-friendly with mild sausage. Either way, your family will love it!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 2 cans (15.8 oz) BUSH'S® Great Northern Beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb mild or spicy Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces (casings removed)
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 small zucchini, cut into cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Italian style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped or 12 oz frozen, thawed and squeezed to drain
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese (optional)
- Heat half the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown slightly. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in saucepan. Cook carrot, zucchini, garlic, oregano and black pepper about 5 minutes; stir often.
- Return sausage (and any juices) to pan. Add remaining ingredients except spinach and cheese. Cover and simmer 30 minutes over low heat.
- Stir in spinach and cook several minutes more, until spinach wilts.
- Serve topped with cheese, if desired.