Once you know how to make black beans and rice, you can start experimenting with the classic side by incorporating your favorite vegetables and spices. That’s exactly what we did for our black beans and rice recipe, which you can make using our regular or reduced sodium black bean varieties. We mix in tomatoes, onions and green peppers, plus seasonings like thyme and garlic salt for extra flavor. Add a splash of hot sauce for an extra kick, and garnish with lime wedges if you’re feeling fancy.
It’s more ingredients, but no more clean-up: everything but the rice goes in a single skillet, and you’re finished cooking in just 10 minutes. Try it with your favorite Mexican meal or on its own!
These recipes were created with our vegetarian friends in mind. However, we recommend reading each label to make sure every ingredient suits your dietary needs. Please also remember that product formulations can change, so if you ever have any questions, make sure to contact the product manufacturer!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1 can (15 oz) BUSH'S® Black Beans or BUSH'S® Reduced Sodium Black Beans, drain and reserve juices
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 2 cup cooked rice
- Lime wedges (optional)
- In large skillet, heat olive oil; cook onion and green pepper until crisp tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, thyme and garlic salt; cook 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar, pepper sauce, and reserved juices continue to cook 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with lime wedge (optional).